Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Change and Growth: Individual, Friends, Community


New York City will never be complete. There will always be the endless cycle of construction, demolition, reconstruction, renovation, and then demolition over and over again. In this way, the city ensures that it keeps its self alive. It is ever changing, and constantly able to keep up with its people and its time.

People change in this way, as well. Taking a look back at the person I was five years ago reveals a drastically different identity from the one I hold now. Is that bad, though? I've been changed by both positive and negative influences over the past few years, but it's not the change of the individual that concerns me, right now. I've noticed that my friends and I changed together. We all developed as almost a cohesive unit. It's strange, I think. It shows how much influence people have over each other.

Think back to five years ago. What kind of person were you? Were you the same as you are, now? Are your friends from then the same friends you have, today? If so, what are they like? If not, have you found new friends who better compliment your changed persona? This group mentality intrigues me. It's showing me the extreme difficulty which comes with trying to really be one's self.

No comments:

Post a Comment